Saturday, September 30, 2006

Sept 20th

Well, today was a lot of fun, I must say. Even though it was actually announced to me that, uh…they want me to sing “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” in some jazzy form, I’m okay! I…can actually do that. I realized that I’ve never had enough faith in my own voice. It’s not the best, but, I think I’ll be good.

In other news, the kids seem to love the fact that I know anything about Bleach and Naruto. All I get is “David! David! Do rasengan!!!” That’s…adorable in my mind.

In other news, the Music Teacher has totally stopped being shy around me. I didn’t realize it, though…the girl’s got major skills. I was watching the music class again, and she was playing flute up front. Suddenly, the piano player was having issues, and she jumped in and started playing piano…and then the drummer couldn’t get a part, and she just stepped in, and started rocking out on drums. …Okay, so, Japanese women are actually extremely talented but aren’t allowed to show it. Huh…that sucks.

But, uh…anyway, before all that happened, one of the students really wanted me to come and see the kendo club—something I’d been meaning to do for a long while. Man, was that ever what I needed to see. Those kids are awesome, and somehow, watching that is going to help me on other levels. Their reflexes were frightening, and though you could hear voices cracking with pubescent rage, it was simply…astounding. I even got to smack some stuff with the kendo sword!

So, needless to say, today was great.

1 comment:

Jamal said...

...C. Hush. I'm writing this for those who won't bother to remember such terms. Yes, they taught me shinai. Cripes, man...stop playin' "That Asian Dude". ;)