Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Filler

Today, the weather report warned of gale-force winds, torrential downpour, and turbulent skies! Turns out it was just a mild storm. I'm sitting in my living room, listening to the wind whistle through the gaps between houses...and the walls. And there's the key.

See, Japanese buildings are built to withstand earthquakes...which means they're built to give. Rigid, concrete structures aren't such a good idea out here, so the buildings seem flimsy to any Floridian. Any American, actually. But when earthquakes come, and you see these houses shake, rattle, but rarely fall, you begin to understand that maybe people out here know what they're doing. But when any strong wind comes through, you get the feeling that they planned only for one side of nature. Ya know...the earthy kind. Rain, water, heat, cold, wind...sound...any of those things render a Japanese building pretty useless. So I can see why everyone in this town started to freak out when they heard that a big storm was coming. Waaaaaay too much rattling going on out here, lemme tell ya. But for some reason, it just makes me enjoy the rainy weather even more!

Honestly, that's all I got at the moment. School should be picking up in a week or so. I'm hoping for next Monday. If it starts any later, I'm gonna be out about 500 bucks due to the terms of my contract. And once school starts up again, I'll switch this here blog into some daily reports with hilarious anecdotes! Maybe... If the kids aren't total jerks.

Nothing to see here, people. Move along.

J

No comments: