Thursday, April 19, 2012

Why does Friday hurt so much? Ah, because I forgot my jacket.

There's a point at which you're no longer the foreigner in Japan, and they kinda expect you to start thinking for yourself.  Today, it looks like I've reached that point.  Well...maybe.  I reached that point a long time ago.  But today, I came to school and it turns out that the PTA was coming for one of their many visits.  No one told me.  No one mentioned that I would be introduced to the PTA.  And no one bothered to inform me that I'd need to wear the full suit.  So when I rolled up to school and saw everyone in full suits, I thought, 'Great, now I get to look like the slacker.'. So, I sat at my desk while people asked me why I didn't have my suit, and I explained that no one told me what was going on, and...then I looked on my desk and saw the piece of paper my teacher had handed me on Monday, and on that sheet of paper, tucked away in a corner it said that the PTA would be visiting.  Even so, that still doesn't necessarily have anything to do with me.  The PTA comes on lots of days that have absolutely nothing to do with me.  And I'm never alerted to them or expected to do anything about them.  Nevertheless, I felt kinda crappy about not having my jacket today.  

But that's not the main reason I feel crappy.

The changing seasons destroy me every year, and spring is the worst.  Last year, it felt like my teeth were trying to pull themselves out of my skull, and this year, it's like someone filled my sinuses with broken glass.  Every breath makes the shards move.  My chest feels like someone's just put it in a vice, and is juuuust starting to crank things up.  A little tight, but I know it'll get worse.  And, ya know, you should look forward to the little things in life, right?  Right.

As for what happened at school today?  Same stuff.  Book's too tough, teaches too timid/stubborn, and students too unaware of consequences.  I say now, though most people will not understand, Japan is too safe and secure.  To easy to get a job and a pension, too easy to get insurance, and too easy to do whatever you want without losing your life.  In Japan, bad things only happen out of chance.  But then, so do good things.  Basically, do whatever you want, the country will find a place for you when you come to your senses.  And hey, maybe you'll get lucky along the way.  Hard work only results in a long life of stress and increased responsibilities, but those responsibilities are an honor.

I'm ranting.  Let me stop.

Here's lunch.  Chicken curry, rice, "Italian salad", milk and yogurt.  This is the kind of lunch that gets kids super amped.  Take a look!


That's enough for today.  I feel...not so awesome.

Be good, people.

J

1 comment:

Megan said...

That rant just furthered the homeschool metaphor. Nice.