Monday, April 16, 2012

Last Minute Monday

Alright, alright, let's get this thing moving!  I'm a day late, and I haven't even re-introduced you guys to my other school!  So, here we go, MONDAY.

Monday brought me back to a place I hadn't been in a month, River Blossom Junior High.  This is the smaller of my two schools, having a little over half the number of students that Plum Valley does.  Because of that, you get a much closer relationship between teachers and students, though Plum Valley's extremely tight-knit.  This place is a bit more old fashioned as well.  Anyway, let's get you guys up to speed on who's who.

Ms. Old School:  This woman comes from the older, strict style of education in Japan, and she takes no crap from anyone.  She isn't a mean woman by nature, but...imagine a tough teacher from Georgia who ain't afraid to use the word "ain't" in class.  That's her.  She rules her classes, and the children learn.  Problem is, I really have no place in a class like that, so she just uses me as a living tape recorder.  Say this, do this, repeat after him.  It's boring, but better than some teachers I've had to deal with.  Another problem is that she pretty much breaks the kids down into mindless drones.  Any students who move on to other teachers after learning from her, well...they never say a word, never come up with an original idea, and never raise their hands.  They can copy and do homework like no one else, though.  And the last problem...Ms. Old School is quick to dismiss a child as "low-level", and leave them in the dust.  Like I said, she comes from the old way of thinking: those who want to learn are the ones who deserve attention.  Students aren't motivated, but...they are praised when they do something well.  It's a strange system.  Me and Ms. Old School get along just fine, though.  And she appreciates my presence.

Little Lady:  She's...short.  Reminds me terribly of my high school Spanish teacher, minus the sky-high heels for compensation.  Even has the same smile.  Little Lady's cool, though.  She's actually the wife of a teacher I worked with years ago, so we work off of that.  She's the complete opposite of Ms. Old School, and is usually laughing with me in the middle of class, and during break time.  Due to family issues, she's only at school part time, though.

The Rookie:  I won't call her The New Girl, because this is her second year, but she is the newest teacher...and the youngest.  If I had to describe her demeanor, I'd say...it's like she's trying to get used to being a teacher and a grown woman at the same time.  Since she's only 23, that doesn't surprise me.  She's still a little soft, though.  We gotta toughen her up a bit.  She's making progress, though.

Other players will be introduced as they become more relevant.

The first day of classes was a...well, not much happened out of the ordinary.  The kids are starting up the new year, with new books and the like, so it's pretty straightforward.  And, of course, there was a test.

As for lunch, they went all Chinese on us!  Take a look! 

In the bowl is something called "mahboh dohfu".  Looks kinda weird, but it's good stuff.  And on the plate..."Chinese Salad".  What?  That's what they call it!  In the red box is about 350 calories of evil white rice.  I avoid that stuff now.

Bu that's really it for today!

Thanks for readin'!

J

No comments: