Monday, April 16, 2012

Tepid Tuesday

Eh, ain't much happening today.  The cherry blossoms are starting to fall, which is really beautiful, but it signals the beginning of what I call Yellow Sky Season.

Having grown up in Florida, my seasonal memories aren't of changing leaves, snow, or blooming flowers.  My eyes were always fixed on the sky.  You could always tell what season it was just by the shade of blue or the shape of the clouds.  It's something most people overlook in Florida, because most of them grew up in places with far more obvious seasonal changes, and then came South, only to find that FL is (in) a constant state of green hotness.  But me, it's how I understand anything.

Japan's sky often leaves much to be desired.  The Yellow Sky Season is the worst.  The clouds seem to hang in the sky limp and lifeless.  The sky isn't really blue due to some yellow haze that makes me taste mustard.  And there is no wind to come and blow it away.  I need my wind, man.  

Anyway, that's what today felt like, and the kids are showing a similar...dullness.  The first-years are already feeling the power of Ms. Old School, and Little Lady and I are working on breaking the second-years free from her after effects.  That's gonna take a while.  Third years had...a test, so, I didn't even see them.  Apparently, a student who has been enrolled at this school for the past two years but never came is now coming to school everyday.  I'd heard her name several times, but never knew who it was.  I still didn't see her today, but I'm guessing she's...special.

In other news, this school doesn't seem nearly as open to my iPad as the other one.  The probably think it's just a toy, or a distraction, so I expect to be told to leave it at home at some point.  Until they get up the nerve to tell me, I'm sticking with it!  But it does provide a topic for conversation with the teachers.  This school actually complained a while back that I didn't talk to the other teachers enough, but man, I'm the one at a loss for words in their native tongue.  They could help me out and start up a conversation, ya know? And they did!  There's one or two dudes who really try to ask me stuff.  One, who I will call Swolt Sensei, asks me something everyday, even if it's a lot of repeats.  He's the head teacher, and looks like he did some major lifting back in the day.  Broad shoulders, and a face that doesn't really seem Japanese are what really throws me off about him.  He's a good guy, though.

Let's move on to lunch.  Today was...international day.  Every Tuesday is.  Take a look!


We got Irish stew, corn salad, cheese and potato omelette, and rye bread with strawberry jam.  When we get lunches like these, everyone looks at me like, "Just like home, yeah?". I just laugh, and don't point out that one, I'm not from Ireland, and two, no...no, whatever horrible stories you've heard of American food...this is nothing like it.  Like I said, man...like the worst lunch ladies.  The food doesn't taste bad, but it certainly feels slapped together, and coming from me, someone who doesn't care much about food that isn't breakfast-related...that's a scathing review.

For now, I'm just gonna try to look forward to getting my tires today.

Later, y'all.

J

No comments: